Electricity is part of our everyday lives. We cannot listen to the latest songs on the radio, surf the internet, or watch our favourite TV shows without it. However, we’ve become very familiar to its usage that we often forgot how hazardous it could be. It claimed innocent lives, caused injuries, and burned down residential houses over the years. Luckily, there are easy methods to make sure your family is safe from the dangers of a household electrical system that is faulty.

Electrical Safety for your Family

There are few potential causes of an electrical fire. Two popular causes are faulty appliances and overloaded or short circuits. Few of the preventive methods to make sure you have a safe house for your entire family include:

  • Avoid Octopus Wiring

Connecting extension cords might appear harmless. However, these cords could also be risky. These cords are also known as octopus wiring. The circuit would work harder to accommodate the number of electrical outlets whenever a lot of wires are interconnected. Because of this, the main socket would overheat. This would start a fire. If you correctly secure the plugs into the sockets and restrict the connection, octopus wiring could be safe.

  • Update Wirings

Several residential houses do not have the ability to handle a lot of electrical appliances at once. This includes gaming consoles and wide screen TVs. Seek the help from a professional electrician if you want to know if your house has a restricted wiring capacity.

  • Replace Light Fixtures

Replacing a light is the number one cause of civilian injuries that is related to electricity. That is according to the NFRA (National Fire Protection Association). Turn off the switch to make sure you will not get electrocuted whenever you are replacing the bulbs. Also, overheating could be prevented if you screw the light securely. Know the proper wattage of the fixture for added protection.

  • Do not Let Water Touch the Socket

The results could be deadly whenever electricity and water is combined. Rooms must not be fitted with sockets near the supply of water, especially the kitchen area and the bathroom. The sockets, as much as possible, must be moved to a safe place. Do not attempt to pull it out if the appliance fell into a sink or bathtub full of water.

  • Remove Carefully the Cord from the Wall

The way you pull the cord could damage the appliance greatly, even when you switch it off after using it. The truth is that there is a chance you could also remove the outlet from its permanent area. Thus, you should instead hold the plug near the wall and pull it out slowly out of the socket.

  • Examine the GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters)

Residential houses are fitted with GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters). The device interrupts quickly the power whenever there is a leakage of current. This would prevent you from risks of electrical shock.